Introduction to the course
|| Course description, program, recommended textbooks.
Overview of measuring devices and techniques treated in the course. Bibliography and practical notes.
Vector Network Analyzer (VNA)
|| VNA introduction: block diagram. Generation section. Test and detecting section. Mixer and superheterodyne detector.
Vector network analyzer: accuracy and calibration techniques.
VNA calibration and uncertainty. VNA calibration: systematic errors. 6,8,12- parameters error models.
Calibration techniques SOLT, TRL.
Group delay, electrical delay and phase offset,
Automatic measurements of Q,
Front panel of instruments.
1) Notes on fundamentals of VNA measurements and VNA architecture.
2) Notes on VNA measure accuracy.
3) Manual HP8753: "Measurement Calibration" (da 6-57 a 6-82) and "Optimising Measurement Results" (from 5-1 to 5-89).
4) AN Agilent on mobile network analyzer FieldFox;
5) Information gathering on measurements with VNA (tesxt with links, web page);
Spectrum Analyzer (SPA)
|| Spectrum analyzer introduction: main uses and block diagram, structure and functioning.
Spectrum analyzer parameters. Non-linear systems parameters and their SPA measurements.
VCO parameters and their SPA measurements.
(notes on strucure and
sui measurements parameters).
DANL for Spectrum Analyzer.
Fundamentals of Spectrum Analysis.
Uncertainty theory and uncertainty propagation. Linear fit and uncertainty
(Notes on uncertainty and
Transmission lines theory
||Transmission lines, primary and secondary constants.
Coaxial cable and transmission lines model. Attenuation, Impedance and Reflection Coefficient.
Coaxial line closed on a load.
1) Demo on Freqeuncy use, trasnmission lines and mismatch.
2) Coaxial line parameters;
Scattering matrix theory
||Scattering matrix definition and properties. Scattering matrix of basic components (notes, S matrix computation, ).|
|Resonant cavities theory|| External characterization of resonant cavities, effect of perturbations of cavityís form,
tuning of cavities and field measurements in resonant structures.
Circuital models of measurements transmission and S21 of resonators
field in cavity and overview of DUT
1) Lecture on RF basics.
2) Lecture on Power coupling in cavities.
3) Proof of Slaterís theorem.
4) Parameters of a cavity.
5) Notebook on cavity model;.
|Time Domain Reflectometry theory|| Introduction to Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR). Principles of TDR. TDR with synthetic impulse.
TDR main practical issues with synthetic impulse. Lab sessions comments.
notes for TDR with lumped elements).
1) AN Agilent on TDR introduction;
2) AN Agilent on TDR for microstrip measurements;
3) AN Agilent on TDR with network analyzer ;
4) AN Rhode on TDR with network analyzer;
5) Notes on FFT fenestration;
6) Comparison between TDR with real impulse and with synthetic impulse.
7) Notes on time domain techniques.
9) Keysight Presentation on TDR and transmission lines;
10) Keysight Presentation on TDR and mobile VNA;
11) Agilent Presentation on TDR, S parameters and differential measurements;
12) Gore Presentation on uncertainty on TDR measurements;
13) AN Agilent on TDR measurements with FieldFox analyzer;
Elementary signals theory
Square wave and its transform. Step-Recovery diodes. Modulated signals and their measure.
Field and Qloaded measurements with SPA
||Narrow-band field measurements.
Useful Matlab command for measured data elaboration (notes).
Training Matlab for Sapienza students (MATLAB Academy)
Material on Matlab basic commands (prof.ssa A. Pascarella).
Routines list (zip file):
In addition, Routines are necessary for ReflectionFitResonance (to insert in Matlab path).
Measurements on coaxial cable
Calibration and calibration test. Transmission measurement of delay of the coaxial cable.
Attenuation measurement of a coaxial cable.
Reflection measurement of delay of the coaxial cable.
1) Example of measurements: coaxial cable;
2) MATLAB routine for linear fit.
3) Observations on linearization;
4) Observations on interpolation.
Measurements on elementary signals
| Introduction to spectrum analyzer measurements. Measure of a sinusoidal signal from a synthesizer.
Signal spectrum visualization with elementary waveform (square wave, triangular wave etc.).
Measure of an amplitude modulated signal with a sinusoidal signal (time domain visualization and frequency domain visualization; depth measure of modulation).
1) material on spectrum analyzer and evaluation of measure uncertainty;
2) MATLAB routine for computing Fourier trasnform of known signlas;
3) Synthesizer manual.
Measurements on lumped elements
|Impedance/admittance measurements with vector network analyzer both in transmission and in reflection.
Measure of S parameters of lumped elements circuits. Characterization of elementary and real components (capacitors, inductors and resistors).
1) MATLAB routine for linear fit;
2) MATLAB routine for using Smith chart.
3) Capacitor with parasites elements: MATLAB routine for Smith chart, example.
Measurements on two-port networks
Measure of band-pass filters. Measurements on T and power dividers. Characterization of directional couplers.
Power sweep with vector network analyzer. Measurements on waveguide components in X band.
1) Notes on directional couplers
2) Data sheet of amplifier minicircuits.
3) Amplifier parameters: Application Note.
Measurements on reflection resonators
Reflection characterization of RF cavities: measurements of resonance frequency, coupling factor and quality factor.
Identification of cylindrical cavity modes. Characterization of dominant mode and higher-order modes.
1) Routines for PNA data reading zip file;
2) Characterization of reflection cavities;
3) Examples of reflection measurements of cavities .
Measurements on transmission resonators
Characterization of transmission resonant cavities (pillbox, multiple-cell cavity and coaxial cavities).
Cavity tuning. Field measurements on resonant structures.
Measurements of Time Domain Reflectometry
Practical cases application of time domain measurements with VNA. Choice of device settings.
Fault location measurements in coaxial structures. Characterization of microstrip. Gating functions.
1) Measurements setting in TDR.
Measurements on complex signals
Spectrum measurement with uncertainty. Step recovery diode and frequency multiplication.
Spectrum of a frequency modulated signal with and without overlapped amplitude modulation.
Narrow-band EM field measurement.
Advanced measurements on PNA and FieldFox.
Individual tests A.A. 2014-15||
January 23, 2015,
January 29-30, 2015,
Individual tests A.A. 2015-16||
January 22, 2016,
January 25, 2016,
January 29, 2016,
February 17-23, 2016,
Individual tests A.A. 2016-17||
January 12, 2017,
January 19-20, 2017,
January 26-27, 2017,
February 2, 2017.
February 9, 2017.
Individual tests A.A. 2017-18||
January 17-19, 2018.
January 24, 2018.
January 31, 2018.
February 21, 2018.
March 2, 2018.
Individual tests A.A. 2018-19||
January 25, 2019.
January 31, 2019.
February 07, 2019.
February 18, 2019.
February 22, 2019.
March 6, 2019.
March 7, 2019.
March 15, 2019.
Last update on November, 14 2019, A.M.